[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon May 16 10:05:34 UTC 2011

On 05/15/2011 05:12 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> The process around building CentOS has traditionally been very
> secretive, which makes the name "*Community* Enterprise OS" seem very inapt.

The community in CentOS that you write about was NEVER about building
CentOS.

We have never said that anyone but the project would build it.

The community part is that we give it away for free and the community
helps each other use it.

That is what this list used to be for.  Before it turned into an
completely unusable pile of crap, where a few people whine the same
incessant demands, as if they are paying for something.

The community provided the QA team, they provide the answers to
bugs.centos.org, they provide the technical answers here.

That is what the community does, that is what their role in the process
is.  This is not new.  The project releases the distributions in our
spare time.  They are something that usually costs lots of money, but
you get them for free.  Because you get them for free, you help the
project by spending time answering e-mail on the lists or by looking at
the bugs and answering questions there.  Or by helping in the forums, etc.

That is not what we are seeing here. What we are seeing here is a small
group of people who think they are entitled to CentOS on their schedule
and not on ours.

Well, we make CentOS because we use it in production.  If you can also
use it in production, great.  If you can't use it, that is also great.

We are trying to provide more information on what is going on, but I
would say that we already provide more information than any other distro
out there.  Certainly any enterprise distro out there.