[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 16 15:41:26 UTC 2011

On 5/16/2011 5:05 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> We have never said that anyone but the project would build it.

But you also didn't say that the project would lack the resources to do
it in a timely manner or handle concurrent updates.  In fact, I thought
the project used to post goals for timeliness instead of just 'whenever'.

> The community part is that we give it away for free and the community
> helps each other use it.
>
> That is what this list used to be for.

People know how to use 5.x by now.  I suspect we'd all rather be talking
about how to use new features.

> Before it turned into an
> completely unusable pile of crap, where a few people whine the same
> incessant demands, as if they are paying for something.

You spoiled us with speed up until the 5.3 update.  We thought it was
something we could count on...

> Well, we make CentOS because we use it in production.

And you don't have a use for 6.x?

> We are trying to provide more information on what is going on, but I
> would say that we already provide more information than any other distro
> out there.  Certainly any enterprise distro out there.

You mean things like:
http://release.debian.org/
http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
http://www.debian.org/devel/buildd/operation
https://buildd.debian.org/ (w/links to build logs)
https://buildd.debian.org/stats/

Doesn't leave much to post mailing list questions regarding status even
if their release schedule is "whenever"...   I can sort-of see why
commercial distros that want to hurt their competition would hide this
kind of information, but what's the point for Centos?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com