[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon May 16 21:15:18 UTC 2011

On 05/16/2011 04:10 PM, Craig White wrote:

> On May 16, 2011, at 11:47 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
>> Now, not only do I need to bust my ass to provide it to you for free,
>> but I also need to do other things for you to.  I need to provide you
>> access to stuff and I need to track things in a different way and I need
>> to setup elaborate systems.  AND, I need to tell you exactly how I build
>> it too.
>>
>> Can't you ungrateful bastards take the free software I make by following
>> the licensing requirements and be happy with that?
>
> ----
> can't say that in all the years I've been using FOSS/Linux that I've ever seen the maintainers have such open disdain for their users. Clearly they have gotten a massive code base for free and though the cost of assembling it into a redistributable system is not inconsequential, it's clear that if this attitude was prevalent, we wouldn't have the massive code base available as it were.

And yet, we do have the massive code base.  And Red Hat did not have to
publish their build system, their build logs, their hidden dependencies,
or anything else.  All the had to do was follow the GPL.

CentOS also publishes all our changes and follows the GPL.  We publish
build scripts and other things that Red Hat would never publish.  And I
am the bad guy.  Really?