[CentOS] OT: Video Surveillance SW on CentOS

Tue May 17 13:33:47 UTC 2011
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

I suggested to our Homeowners Association that we begin a Private
Forum (phpBB) and web site. That suggestion has been well received and
we will proceed with that.

Now, I have become involved in a much more complex and important
project, which is Video Surveillance, for the entrance to our
subdivision.

I Googled and found two (2) things for Linux that seem to be OK:

(a)  ZoneMinder
http://www.zoneminder.com/

(b) Motion
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

Both are licensed under the GPL. Motion is available from the RPMForge
Repository, which is a big "plus", for installation, upgrades and
removal.
ZoneMinder seems to be a much more active project.

I would appreciate Feedback, from anyone who has used either or both
of these programs. Pros and Cons?

Also, if anyone has other Software to recommend, to run on CentOS,
that information will be appreciated.

The idea is to have at least two (2) cameras. One for Arrivals and One
for Departures.
TIA!   Lanny
Our Computer2.com Domain Name is For Sale, on Sedo.com