[CentOS] Boot speed

Tue May 3 13:49:22 UTC 2011
Brunner, Brian T. <BBrunner at gai-tronics.com>

centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
> On 5/3/11 8:17 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
>> centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:

>>> Fast boots also matter for embedded systems.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> So does booting on small, non-PAE hardware.
>> RH wants to drop the embedded world, but the centosplus kernel may
>> yet "save us" from ignominy.
>
> So you save a second in boot time, then waste half an hour trying to
> figure out which wire goes to which network interface...   Doesn't
> sound like a win to me unless you only have one NIC.

I got one nic on one single-core non-PAE i586 CPU (GEODE LX800) that
roars at 800MHz with 1/4GB ram.  I got 1 hard drive with DMA, the
other "drive" is a CF socket accessed by PIO.

Look up the ETX boards, and consider those with 4 amps max total
current.
They're used all over the world for process control and
special-situation comms systems.

It's headless, access is by ssh; it *must* go from power-on to full
operation in 90 seconds, it *should* get there in 30. That includes BIOS
startup. Once installed, it does NOT change hardware configuration
exception hard-drive-swap for application version upgrade every 2-3
years.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me