[CentOS] Boot speed

Tue May 3 14:33:46 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 5/3/2011 8:49 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

>> So you save a second in boot time, then waste half an hour trying to
>> figure out which wire goes to which network interface...   Doesn't
>> sound like a win to me unless you only have one NIC.
>
> I got one nic on one single-core non-PAE i586 CPU (GEODE LX800) that
> roars at 800MHz with 1/4GB ram.  I got 1 hard drive with DMA, the
> other "drive" is a CF socket accessed by PIO.
>
> Look up the ETX boards, and consider those with 4 amps max total
> current.
> They're used all over the world for process control and
> special-situation comms systems.
>
> It's headless, access is by ssh; it *must* go from power-on to full
> operation in 90 seconds, it *should* get there in 30. That includes BIOS
> startup. Once installed, it does NOT change hardware configuration
> exception hard-drive-swap for application version upgrade every 2-3
> years.

If you've got one nic, it'a a pretty sure bet that any detection order
is going to call it eth0.  Add a few more and I think you'll change your
opinion, especially with that headless situation where all you can do is
move wires until ssh works.  That's extra fun when you on the phone and
paying by the hour for remote support.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com