[CentOS] OT: RHEL 6.1 is out

Mon May 23 17:39:38 UTC 2011
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 05/22/2011 02:57 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2011, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> Who said anything about 5.6 breaking the environment?  Everyone in the
>> very long thread gave the excuse that it was done concurrent with other
>> releases.
>
> customary trolling by Gordon Messmer -- passive agressive,
> implying an unmet obligation
>
>   	ex·cuse /ikˈskyo͞os/
>   	Noun: A reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify
>   	a fault or offense.

Having slept on that, I don't think my previous reply was direct to your
accusation.

Yes, I think that the explanation offered my many of the list's members
is an excuse.

It's an excuse when the people who offer it up have no insight into the
process of building the distribution, or the actual challenges that held
up the release.

It's an excuse when it's offered up like an aberration.  There is
nothing unusual about simultaneous releases from the upstream vendor.
There is no reason for users of CentOS to expect that Red Hat will not
make simultaneous or near simultaneous point releases in the future.

5.6 was what all CentOS releases are: the work of a small group of
volunteers who are providing something of great value at no financial
cost.  I trust that they are doing their best.  All that I expect of
anyone is that they consider the facts of CentOS release history and not
have unreasonable expectations of the developers.  The work of releasing
the distribution is obviously greater than they are able to manage in a
shorter amount of time.  That's not an accusation.  It's not a
complaint.  It's not whining.  It's an observation of the facts, and I
think that all users should accept it.  With a clear and rational view
of the facts, users should be expected to have realistic expectations of
the distribution.  It's not realistic to expect that 6.1 is going to be
available any less than 6-8 weeks from now.

My entire participation in the last long thread was directed at users
who have unrealistic expectations of the CentOS release team.  One, in
particular, thought that 6.1 should be available in less than a month.
In the last two years, only 4.9 was released that quickly.  Expecting a
new release in less than 30 days is unrealistic and leads to
disappointment and frustration among users.  And suddenly, for a few
messages in one thread, I'm "customarily" a troll?  I don't post often,
and when I do I try to provide useful information.  I'm somewhat upset.
  I think you've completely misinterpreted what was stated in the
presentation to which you linked.  Protecting your project does not mean
labeling every person that you disagree with a troll and blasting them.
  You've been quite rude, and I hope you reconsider this new personal
policy.