[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Thu May 26 23:36:55 UTC 2011
Kevin K <kevink1 at fidnet.com>

On May 26, 2011, at 3:49 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

> On 5/26/11, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Spinning disks seem an awful lot like victorian technology taken too far.
>> In
>> the long term, what's *not* to like about the idea of fully solid state
>> storage?
>
> Personally, I'm averse to using SSD with any important long term data
> is the nightmare that I could one day wake up to find everything gone
> without any means of recovery. Compared that to a hard disk, which
> barring catastrophic physical damage, I could pay somebody to just
> read the data off the platter.
>
> As a performance boosting intermediary storage, yes, long term...
> maybe not quite yet

multiple layers of backup.  My main system has a main system.  With scheduled backups to an external hard drive, and online.  I have a lot of data on it like pictures that I wouldn't want to lose.  A SSD would replace my main boot drive, with faster access to data as used.  But the external drive would still be there for backup.