[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Thu May 26 23:42:06 UTC 2011
aurfalien at gmail.com <aurfalien at gmail.com>

On May 26, 2011, at 4:36 PM, Kevin K wrote:

> On May 26, 2011, at 3:49 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>
>> On 5/26/11, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Spinning disks seem an awful lot like victorian technology taken
>>> too far.
>>> In
>>> the long term, what's *not* to like about the idea of fully solid
>>> state
>>> storage?
>>
>> Personally, I'm averse to using SSD with any important long term data
>> is the nightmare that I could one day wake up to find everything gone
>> without any means of recovery. Compared that to a hard disk, which
>> barring catastrophic physical damage, I could pay somebody to just
>> read the data off the platter.
>>
>> As a performance boosting intermediary storage, yes, long term...
>> maybe not quite yet
>
> multiple layers of backup.  My main system has a main system.  With
> scheduled backups to an external hard drive, and online.  I have a
> lot of data on it like pictures that I wouldn't want to lose.  A SSD
> would replace my main boot drive, with faster access to data as
> used.  But the external drive would still be there for backup.

I back up to traditional disk/tape as well.

Thing is, even though I use the Intel X25M for a mostly read only app
server, there is still the issue on TRIM.

In Windows and OSX its easy to get TRIM working, does any know of TRIM
for linux?

Also, for rock solid write performance, I've been using the IOExtreme
which is pricy, hence biz use only.  Its not bootable but very good
read/write reliable I/O.

- aurf