[CentOS] Redhat vs centos vs ubuntu

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Nov 11 05:30:31 UTC 2011

On Friday, November 11, 2011 12:33 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 12:12 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>

>> I would not have said much if you have pushed Debian but Ubuntu? It's a
>> joke. I only happen to have one Ubuntu Hardy server because I did not
>> have a Centos disk at hand when I had to do an emergency installation of
>> a box to take over the predecessor's read RH9 squid/nat box. I have no
>> qualms learning the ropes of another distro but the Ubuntu distro takes
>> the cake for faking a community and having tools that are way behind
>> those available with RHEL/Centos. Does d-i support/have lvm on raid
>> recipes yet?
>>
> ----
> yeah - community... see SADFL
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/governance
>
> ;-)
>
> I don't know what you mean by 'd-1'

d-i = debian-installer which is what Ubuntu uses for its text installer.

> Seems you can do pretty much anything with their version of kickstart
> (apparently they have incorporated anaconda now but I haven't ever used
> it) and they also have preseed and I am using puppet and foreman so I
> have other methodologies.

Oh, things have improved have they? Last I tried, you could not get d-i
to do lvm on raid whether on the console or through preseed. Are you
telling me that you can now get that done with ks files when you could
not with preseed or manually?