[CentOS] Changes at Red Hat confouding CentOS (was: What happened to 6.1)

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 15 21:56:23 UTC 2011

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Why don't you call your Congresscritter and Senator, and tell them you
>> personally want to donate the money to replace everything we have that
>> doesn't have IPMI, and pay for the time install and cable it all up?
>> That would be *great*... of course, some of our latest servers have 48
>> cores, and we just got some 64 core servers, so it might cost you a
>> pretty penny....
>>
>> Oh, yes, and then there's the official requirement that I be here during
>> business hours.
>
> I have to apolgise here Dear Mark.
>
> Your country has placed so may restrictions on "exports" that even
> India (a de-facto nuclear power) does not have the privilege of having
> such hardware. Even "Redhat" is afraid.

Oh? That level hardware is a no-no? I admit, they *are* brand new, and
given the very serious scientific computing we do here, they're *needed*
(some folks' jobs run, on a cluster like the above, 2, 3, 4 *days*. Then
there was the guy about a couple years ago, who asked me to hold off
rebooting his home directory server until his job finished.

Two *weeks* later, I got to reboot....

> That said, I have had situation in IDC's where I have managed about 45
> Rack servers and 10 Blades -- all (then) Sun X and V servers from
> ground (tile floor up) for an App that is designed to tun on "only"
> those servers. I know the enormous difficulties the customer faced,
> and I had to help them justify.

Sun? Debacle, er, Oracle? Oh, *Ghu*, I'm *so* sorry. It took me a month to
get one server repaired, getting an FE out, the beginning of this year.
(Meanwhile, Dell's had two SE's over the course of three days in the last
*week*). If my manager, the other admin, or I have anything to do with it,
we *ain't* buying more Sun/Oracle.

> So let us just chill.

Actually no, we turned off the a/c in the room I spent, um, about 7 hours
in with the FE between yesterday and today.... <g>

     mark