[CentOS] Redhat vs centos vs ubuntu

Fri Nov 11 14:16:28 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 11/11/2011 08:04 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 7:45 AM, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 02:28:26PM +0100, Alain Péan wrote:
>>
>> Seriously.  This is _not_ the list for this.  Readers should not have to
>> wade through the morass of this thread or even spend the second or so
>> required to thread kill it.  It's off-topic.  This is not an advocacy
>> list to debate merits of one distro over another.  If you like Ubuntu,
>> fine - we don't need to know about it.  If you don't like CentOS, fine,
>> this list, however, isn't the venue to rattle on about it.
>
> This thread and others like it are not about people not 'liking'
> CentOS all of a sudden and everyone know that.  It is about what the
> people who expected a reasonably current CentOS to be available may be
> forced to use instead.
>
>> If you are unhappy with CentOS then you need to think that perhaps you
>> should be using something else.  And if you _are_ using something else
>> why bother taking up my time and that of the thousands of other list
>> members complaining about CentOS or expressing your various displeasures
>> here?
>
> We are pretty much all in the same boat here.  If someone can
> authoritatively say that CentOS will never be more than a few weeks
> (even months, whatever...) behind upstream, then such discussion will
> end of its own accord.  Otherwise everyone needs a plan B.

What is older than that now if you look at 6.x CR?  The only thing
lagging right now is the building of new install media.  But if you
install 6.0 and use CR, you are in good shape.  There are even updates
in there that are newer than 6.1 (it also contains the updates TO 6.1).

I can never say how long it will take to build something that we have
not built yet ... if we have to redesign a system from scratch, it will
take time.  You are correct, if CentOS does not work for you then move
on.  Move on to a new OS and move on to a new list.

>> So I ask you, and all the others, to _please_ consider that the _vast_
>> majority of active readers of this list don't care one way or another
>> about opinions of CentOS vs Ubuntu or hearing, yet again, about your
>> displeasure with whatever is irritating you today about CentOS.
>
> Sorry, but I don't believe that there is any such vast majority that
> isn't concerned about the situation.

This list is for the community to use to get and provide support for
CentOS ... not for constant bellyaching and non stop whining.  This list
has become non usable because of the trash that it has become.

Starting today, I will be banning people from posting on this list.