[CentOS] UC What happened to 6.1

Wed Nov 16 18:30:03 UTC 2011
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

Am 16.11.2011 um 19:07 schrieb Nataraj:

> On 11/16/2011 02:21 AM, Rushton Martin wrote:
>> One exception is those machines behind a firewall that does not allow
>> downloads.  The only upgrade path then is to download on another machine
>> and burn DVDs.  CR repos are not helpful in such a case!
> Unfortunately, I don't know of any distros that cater to anyone with
> that level of security requirement anymore (or even someone who just
> didn't have an Internet connection).  There used to be distros where you
> could receive updates monthly on a CDROM.  Nowaday's all distros that
> I'm aware of require internet access.  I believe Apple has stopped
> offering CD's or USB sticks of their OS and instead offer a BIOS that
> knows how to install over the Internet.

No, you can still by Mac OS on an USB-stick.

IMO, not letting machines download updates even from an internal, non-public mirror is just brain-dead.
Sure, you can put that same mirror onto a large USB-stick, walk up to the machine and do a local yum-update.
But that really does not scale at all.
It's a mis-use of the sysadmin's most precious resource: time.