[CentOS] how to install standard software on systems with heterogeneous hardware?

Tue Nov 29 19:25:42 UTC 2011

Thomas Burns wrote:
> I've been thinking about ways to proceed if I need to set up 5
> machines with basically identical software but somewhat variable
> hardware. A simple approach would be to just set up my golden system
> and clone the disk, but the hardware differences would probably cause
> problems.

First question: *how* heterogeneous? Do you have 32-bit systems, and
64-bit systems, and Itaintiums?  AMD and Intel? Or are you just talking
about peripherals?

> One approach that appeals to me is to install minimal centos on the
> first system, add a few rpms after installation, do my desired config
> file tweaks, then somehow generate an rpm that depends on all the
> post-install rpms and contains my custom versions of the config files
<snip>
How about building one fully, getting a list of installed packages that
does *not* mention the architecture, then, on each machine, yum -y install
`cat packagelist`? Yes, I am assuming they're bootable, and have yum, but
nothing else - a minimal install.

        mark