[CentOS] guest vms crash host systems

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Oct 5 17:00:00 UTC 2011

Negative wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Negative wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Negative wrote:
<snip>
>> > I still wonder what is causing this. I couldn't find any mention of a
>> > similar problem, including on my desktop in my office, where I have a
>> > very similar setup, with four kvm guests, two Fedora, one Centos 6 and
>> > one Windows XP.
<snip>
Do I remember this is 5.7? Look at the announcement that *just* came out
in the last hour, with the libX11 bugfix.
<https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-1351.html> says "Previously, in
the 64-bit mode, libX11 computed addresses using the 32-bit arithmetic. As
a consequence, under heavy load, applications running in the X environment
terminated unexpectedly. A patch has been provided to address this issue,
and the crashes no longer occur in the described scenario."

       mark