[CentOS] You suggestion for 'big' filesystem management Best Practice?

Fri Oct 28 08:34:28 UTC 2011
Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>

Hi,

we plan to set up a big file storage for media files like uncompressed
movies from student film projects, dvd images etc.

It should be some sort of archive and will not bee accessed by more than
may be 5 people at the same time.

The iSCSI RAID we have is about 26TB netto and I'm again faced with the
question: How many partitions, which filesystem, which mount options etc.

For the User it would be the most simpel thing, to have one big
filesystem she/he could fill with all the data and dont has to search
e.g. on multiple volumes.

On the other hand, if one big filesystem crashes or has do be checked it
will destroy a lot of data or the check will take hours ...

Any suggestions pro or cons are welcome! :-)

My favourite for now is 3 to 4 filesystems with the default ext4
settings. (Redhat EL 5.7, may be soon 6.1)

Thanks and best regards. Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer: