[CentOS] CentOS 6.0 and 3ware 9650SE series RAID Performance

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 2 23:10:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 12:03 -0700, Austin Godber wrote:
> Thank you for the clarification Craig, I am re-examining my storage
> strategy, thus my email.  Sadly this machine has been in service a
> number of years and already contains more data than is possible in a
> RAID 10 configuration.  If I had the spare space and resources I'd be
> thrilled to switch to RAID 10.  That is not the case, however.  Given
> that, I am faced with the choice between having the machine entirely
> unusable between now and when I can acquire a BBU or using it with the
> risk of data loss/corruption, I will chose the latter.  Neither data
> loss nor corruption would go unnoticed in the period that this will be
> necessary.
>

> Does that sound entirely unreasonable?
----
reminds me of dialog in 'So I Married an Axe Murderer'...

Charlie: "For example, how many people have you brutally murdered?"

Harriet: "Brutal" is a very subjective word. What's brutal to one person
          might be reasonable to somebody else."

I think SATA hard drives are so cheap nowadays, that it's hard to
justify choosing RAID 5 for more yield at the cost of performance and
reliability.

Craig

believed to be clean.