[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 30 17:55:45 UTC 2011

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 9/30/2011 8:41 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:56 AM, Hakan Koseoglu<hakan at koseoglu.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Why would you move disks around machines unless you're recovering them
>>> after a failure?
>> Because I can.  Why wouldn't you?   Mine are nearly all in swappable
>> carriers and it is a lot faster to move them than to ship data any
>> other way.
>>
> Because you are wearing the machine's connectors out. They are rated to
> be *infrequently* changed out. When you do it on a regular basis it will
> just be a matter of time until they develop electrical/physical problems.
<snip>
Most of our servers have all drives in hot swap bays (and the older ones
that don't are being surplussed as fast as we can)... *ALL* of which have
sleds they have to fit in. The only drives I swap on a regular basis are
our offline backups (of the online backups), and that's every two weeks,
and for that I've got a dual bay eSATA base, just drop them in, then push
it up. Nothing else moves until it dies.

        mark