[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 18:12:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Most of our servers have all drives in hot swap bays (and the older ones
> that don't are being surplussed as fast as we can)... *ALL* of which have
> sleds they have to fit in. The only drives I swap on a regular basis are
> our offline backups (of the online backups), and that's every two weeks,
> and for that I've got a dual bay eSATA base, just drop them in, then push
> it up.

If 750gb disks are big enough, you can get a cute little internal
trayless hot swap bay for 2 -  2.5" SATA drives that fits in the space
a 3.5" floppy would have taken.   The WD ''Scorpio Black" drives are
pretty snappy - and you can toss your backup in your shirt pocket.  I
think someone even has a 1 Tb drive in the standard laptop height now.
 Until recently there were 2.5" 1 and 1.5 Tb drives but they were too
tall for standard enclosures.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com