[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 30 18:39:12 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>> Most of our servers have all drives in hot swap bays (and the older ones
>> that don't are being surplussed as fast as we can)... *ALL* of which
>> have sleds they have to fit in. The only drives I swap on a regular
>> basis are our offline backups (of the online backups), and that's every
>> two weeks, and for that I've got a dual bay eSATA base, just drop them
>> in, then push it up.
>
> If 750gb disks are big enough, you can get a cute little internal
> trayless hot swap bay for 2 -  2.5" SATA drives that fits in the space
> a 3.5" floppy would have taken.   The WD ''Scorpio Black" drives are
> pretty snappy - and you can toss your backup in your shirt pocket.  I
> think someone even has a 1 Tb drive in the standard laptop height now.
>  Until recently there were 2.5" 1 and 1.5 Tb drives but they were too
> tall for standard enclosures.

#insert "rocking_chair.h"
Why, Ah remember when my bosses at a job long ago gave me a *big*, brand
new drive as a holiday gift, knowing I'd be working at home. Why, it was
all of 30MB!

Sorry, the 750GB's are going, going, gone, and even the 1TB's are
"smaller", except for the HPC clusters, which don't need a lot of disk.
And no, I do not toss my backups at work in my shirt: the offline backups,
fully encrypted disks, go in the fire safe in the locked server room. Some
of the systems they're backing up have HIPAA and PII data.

        mark "why, yes, I *am* where some of your US tax dollars
               are going"