[CentOS] CentOS 6 Partitioning Help

Thu Sep 1 01:45:00 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 08/31/11 6:28 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> 1) What is a good partition map/schema for a server OS where it's
> primary purpose is for a LAMP server, DNS (bind), and possibly gameservers

my servers generally have 2 disks mirrored for the OS, then 2 or more
disks in a raid for the application file systems, be they databases, web
files, NFS shared data, or whatever.   I generally make the OS raid an
LVM volume, then allocate /, /var, swap, and maybe /home out of that.
depending on what I'm doing, the data raid is probably also a LVM volume
group, and would have things like /var/www, /var/lib/pgsql/9.0/data, as
logical volumes, possibly /home, depending on usage patterns.

but, my workloads are often disk IO intensive.  Your Mileage May Vary.
Objects In Mirror May Be Closer Than They Appear.  Caveat Emptor.  etc etc.