[CentOS] VMware tools 1.0.10 on Centos 6?

Fri Sep 2 19:22:57 UTC 2011
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

In article <4E611015.2030107 at gmail.com>,
carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/2011 07:12 PM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > I have an instance of VMware server 1.0.10 hosted on CentOS 5, and it
> > runs fine, with guests of CentOS 4, CentOS5 or Win2000.
> >
> > I have just created a new VM and installed CentOS6 on it, which also runs
> > fine, except that I can't build the VMware tools on it. I get compilation
> > errors when compiling the kernel modules, due to changes in the definition
> > of struct net_device among other things.
>
> Short response: no. You can't install vmware tools from vmware server.
> Only vmware tools from ESXi 5 works for CentOS/RHEL/SL 6.x ...

OK, thanks.

> And another problem: why do you use vmware server?? It is EOL and not
> supported for vmware anymore.

Mainly because it's a test system at home on which I've had VMware server
installed for a couple of years already, and have had no reason to change
(perhaps until now). It was free at the time. I haven't investigated the
cost of ESXi. If I were to move to that, could I use my existing virtual
machines unchanged?

Cheers
Tony
--