[CentOS] Emulate RHEV On CentOS - A note on Xen v. KVM

Wed Sep 7 13:51:35 UTC 2011
Digimer <linux at alteeve.com>

On 09/07/2011 09:34 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Red Hat (and thus CentOS) has native XEN support but dropped XEN in
> favor of KVM (which is not as mature yet) in RH 6.

This deserves clarification...

Red Hat is a business, and made a simple business decision. Maintaining
Xen support would have meant maintaining a very large set of patches.
They made the decision that the effort (and money) needed to maintain
Xen outside of the mainline kernel was not worth it.

KVM was not chosen over Xen so much as KVM was a much less expensive
hypervisor to support. As for it being mature or not; Well, put on your
kevlar pants because that is a matter of opinion.

As a follow-up, Xen dom0 support began getting into the mainline kernel
at 2.6.33 (EL6 is based on 2.6.32). It is very likely that we will see
Xen dom0 support returned in the next major release.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"