[CentOS] Emulate RHEV On CentOS - A note on Xen v. KVM

Wed Sep 7 13:57:11 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u61.u22.net>

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 09:51 -0400, Digimer wrote:

> Red Hat is a business, and made a simple business decision. Maintaining
> Xen support would have meant maintaining a very large set of patches.
> They made the decision that the effort (and money) needed to maintain
> Xen outside of the mainline kernel was not worth it.

Perhaps a silly question, but why maintain patches ? Why not compile a
new version and discard all the patches ? Patches are a messy manner to
maintain programmes.

> KVM was not chosen over Xen so much as KVM was a much less expensive
> hypervisor to support. As for it being mature or not; Well, put on your
> kevlar pants because that is a matter of opinion.

Which is better on C5 and C6 ?

> As a follow-up, Xen dom0 support began getting into the mainline kernel
> at 2.6.33 (EL6 is based on 2.6.32). It is very likely that we will see
> Xen dom0 support returned in the next major release.

In about 4 or 5 years ??? :-)

Regards,

Paul.