[CentOS] disk duplication question

Fri Sep 9 13:26:32 UTC 2011
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

> On 2011-09-09 14:22, Jerry Geis wrote:
> >    I have need to duplicate centos 6 on 133 computers.
> > I purchased a disk duplicator make my master and the duplicator does 11
> > at a time.
> >
> > All is good so far...
> >
> > When I take a duplicated disk and stick it in the "new" box which is
> > different than the
> > master machine of course all seems to work except the network.

The problem (you don't mention if you figured it out or not) is that the
MAC address will be wrong--one sees the same thing when cloning a VMware
machine.  (Or VirtualBox for that matter.)

If you go into /etc/udev/rules.d and look for the network file (probably
70-persistent-net.rules) you'll see that it will have a line for eth0
(or whatever card) with the original machine's MAC address.  It will
hopefully also have a new one with eth1.  In VMware clones, I just
delete the eth0 line, change eth1 at the end of the line to eth0, and
edit the /etc/sysoconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to bring the
hardware address in line with udev.  (However, I've never had to do it
on more than 2 or 3 at a time, doing it on 300 plus seems like a lot).

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Riley: I thought maybe we could have a little spread. Sandwiches,
maybe some ants. Could be fun.
Buffy: We were talking about a picnic?
Riley: Oh... so, was that a conversation I actually had or one I
was just practicing?