[CentOS] CentOS 6 Installation on Thinkpad X220

Fri Sep 9 18:57:41 UTC 2011
Janne Nyman <jnyman at jbtec.org>

> Hi
>
> unless you are doing this for a specific reason (ie eval/training) would
> advise that centos is not really a laptop distribution despite what
> redhat may try to suggest.
>
> best desktop/laptop in my opinion is mageia
>
> regards peter
>> I am trying to install CentOS 6 x86_64 on a Lenovo Thinkpad x220.
>>
>> During the installation it asks me to insert a driver.
>>
>> Has anyone done this successfully?

Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback.

I guess the reason I am doing it, is as I love the way CentOS works, I.e.
the stability and performance. I am currently running it on a ThinkPad
Edge 11 and all seems to work great.

Just looks like the e1000e NIC driver is not working with the kernel in
6.0. I have also tried this with RHEL 6.1 but that also gets me stuck at
the booting of the x220.

I have tried to understand how the "load driver disk" works with CentOS
and RHEL based systems, but I am failing to get it working.

I have got my hands on the e1000e driver and patched the initrd but still
no go.

That's why I wanted to check if anyone else has got this working :)

Anyone else?

Kind regards,
Janne Nyman
E: jnyman at jbtec.org