[CentOS] CentOS 6 Installation on Thinkpad X220

Fri Sep 9 19:01:04 UTC 2011
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 07:57:41PM +0100, Janne Nyman wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > unless you are doing this for a specific reason (ie eval/training)
> > would advise that centos is not really a laptop distribution
> > despite what redhat may try to suggest.
> >
> > best desktop/laptop in my opinion is mageia
> >
> > regards peter
> >> I am trying to install CentOS 6 x86_64 on a Lenovo Thinkpad x220.
> >>
> >> During the installation it asks me to insert a driver.
> >>
> >> Has anyone done this successfully?
> >>

> Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback.
>
> I guess the reason I am doing it, is as I love the way CentOS works,
> I.e.  the stability and performance. I am currently running it on a
> ThinkPad Edge 11 and all seems to work great.
>
> Just looks like the e1000e NIC driver is not working with the kernel
> in 6.0. I have also tried this with RHEL 6.1 but that also gets me
> stuck at the booting of the x220.
>
> I have tried to understand how the "load driver disk" works with
> CentOS and RHEL based systems, but I am failing to get it working.
>
> I have got my hands on the e1000e driver and patched the initrd but
> still no go.
>
> That's why I wanted to check if anyone else has got this working :)
>
> Anyone else?

I haven't tried, but I think RHEL/CentOS on a laptop _should_ work
fine, albeit, as you have experienced with some minor driver issues. :)

My preference is to pull from elrepo whenever possible.  They actually
have an e1000e driver:

  http://jur-linux.org/download/elrepo/elrepo/el6/i386/RPMS/

Ray