[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Fri Sep 30 09:56:28 UTC 2011
Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org>

Hi Les,
On 29/09/11 22:25, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM,<m.roth at 5-cent.us>  wrote:
>> When I build, our PXEboot ks partitions and labels the partitions. When I
>> add or replace, I make the partition, the fs, and e2label them. I've
>> gotten to really appreciate labeling. I hate the UUIDs - they're
>> ludicrously too long, and bear no relationship to what device they are, or
>> where they go.
>
> What happens when you move the disks around among machines?  Or don't
> you ever do that after they contain data?
Why would you move disks around machines unless you're recovering them
after a failure? Then just make sure they don't exist on the recovery
server.

Maybe it's the way the machines I get involved are used, they're mostly
database servers and their lifetime are measured in 3-5 years so once
they're up and running, not a lot of people touches them. If a disk is
being moved around, it gets decomissioned and wiped out first, not after.

Also if you stick to more descriptive labels I think you'd be safe over
the long run. Just don't call all of them "data". :-)