[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Fri Sep 30 15:41:02 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:56 AM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org> wrote:

>> What happens when you move the disks around among machines?  Or don't
>> you ever do that after they contain data?

> Why would you move disks around machines unless you're recovering them
> after a failure?

Because I can.  Why wouldn't you?   Mine are nearly all in swappable
carriers and it is a lot faster to move them than to ship data any
other way.

> Then just make sure they don't exist on the recovery
> server.

And how would I know that?

> Maybe it's the way the machines I get involved are used, they're mostly
> database servers and their lifetime are measured in 3-5 years so once
> they're up and running, not a lot of people touches them. If a disk is
> being moved around, it gets decomissioned and wiped out first, not after.

Some of our machines are like that, some aren't.

> Also if you stick to more descriptive labels I think you'd be safe over
> the long run. Just don't call all of them "data". :-)

That doesn't any more sense than having to label all your shipping
containers descriptively before you know what you are going to put in
them.  And besides, most of the labels are applied by the installer
without user input.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com