[CentOS] rhel/centos alternative to logwatch?

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Thu Apr 12 10:13:14 UTC 2012

Am 08.04.2012 03:37, schrieb Joseph L. Casale:
>> I just assumed there was something newer out there. 2007 was the last
>> release notes for the version installed on centos. There is a newer
>> version out there, but that would be off of the base repo and not sure
>> if I want to go that route in the how-to.
>
> Dates aren't always a good judge of package quality. In the case of
> of this one, there really hasn't been a need to update it, as it just
> works. I assume some scripts have undergone changes though...

The scripts are exactly the point. The most frequent reason for a
lot of unmatched entries showing up is that the corresponding
logwatch script is out of date wrt the program whose log is being
watched. Program maintainers tend to change the wording of messages
on a whim, and the logwatch scripts need to be updated to keep up
with them. So yes, there is a constant need to update logwatch,
specifically its scripts.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH