[CentOS] rhel/centos alternative to logwatch?

Fri Apr 13 22:28:43 UTC 2012
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com>

On 4/13/2012 5:57 PM, Markus Falb wrote:
> On 13.4.2012 23:39, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>
>> I was trying to stay with the base centos repo and only grab a few
>> programs off of other repos (like phpymyadmin).
>>
>> Unfortunately, I think it is better, now that I have played with them,
>> to skip the repos and go straight to the source for some thing.
>> phpmyadmin rpm from the source company works 'correctly' over the epel
> epel has phpMyAdmin3-3.4.9-1.el5 and there is phpMyAdmin3-3.5.0-1.el5 in
> testing.
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-5554/phpMyAdmin3-3.5.0-1.el5
>
>> rpm, especially the log in feature...and has 4 less programs needed to run.
> I don't understand what you talking about.

epel is 3.4.9
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/repoview/phpMyAdmin.html
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/phpMyAdmin-3.4.9-1.el6.noarch.rpm

epel rpm required 3 programs to be installed, the download from
phpmyadmin does not require them... libmcrypt, mcrypt, php-gettext

the epel version has some weird htaccess lookalike pop up to log in and
the download from the site uses the very nice normal log in screen of
phpmyadmin....so this way I do not get double htaccess prompts, one for
my protected directory and one for logging in.

the website has 3.5 up.

so when I looked at it all, I feel the website download is easy to
install and update and works fine as a php program. Felt it might be
okay to leave the repos behind on that one.
That phpgettext (I assume it is that) causing that pop up is rather
annoying too.

its really easy to deploy either way. great program.