[CentOS] rhel/centos alternative to logwatch?

Fri Apr 13 23:33:03 UTC 2012
Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at>

On 14.4.2012 00:28, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> On 4/13/2012 5:57 PM, Markus Falb wrote:
>> On 13.4.2012 23:39, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>> I was trying to stay with the base centos repo and only grab a few
>>> programs off of other repos (like phpymyadmin).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I think it is better, now that I have played with them,
>>> to skip the repos and go straight to the source for some thing.
>>> phpmyadmin rpm from the source company works 'correctly' over the epel
>> epel has phpMyAdmin3-3.4.9-1.el5 and there is phpMyAdmin3-3.5.0-1.el5 in
>> testing.
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-5554/phpMyAdmin3-3.5.0-1.el5
>>
>>> rpm, especially the log in feature...and has 4 less programs needed to run.
>> I don't understand what you talking about.
>>

> epel is 3.4.9

I wrote that. I also wrote that it will be at 3.5.0 in a few days.

> epel rpm required 3 programs to be installed, the download from
> phpmyadmin does not require them... libmcrypt, mcrypt, php-gettext

fair enough.
Given that you are not using cookie authentication and living in a
english-reading-only universum you might skip these requirements.

> the epel version has some weird htaccess lookalike pop up to log in and
> the download from the site uses the very nice normal log in screen of
> phpmyadmin....so this way I do not get double htaccess prompts, one for
> my protected directory and one for logging in.

$ rpm -qc phpMyAdmin3
/etc/httpd/conf.d/phpMyAdmin.conf
/etc/phpMyAdmin/config.inc.php

configure it for your needs. The rpm config ships with http auth
enabled, the tarballs config.sample.inc.php from upstream with cookie
auth. It's really only a matter of configuration.

Ah, and now that you are using cookie auth (At least I believe you does)
then I would advise installing the mcrypt dependencies :-) Please have a
look at the documentation about that.
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb