[CentOS] XEN or KVM - performance/stability/security?

Mon Apr 23 20:01:12 UTC 2012
Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com>

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM, aurfalien <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also prefer KVM over Xen, mainly I don;t have to do anything special when maintaining the env.
>
> But I haven't notice an improvement over Xen.
>
> I really like the fact that the guest OS has a stock kernel, etc..

I do not quite see how Xen requires one to do something special for
maintenance? With pygrub you can use the stock kernel with your Xen
domUs just fine. I have not seen any issues with stability either, but
then again I am running mostly just web and mail servers without
really high traffic.

But if KVM would offer improvements for performance over Xen, I should
perhaps try it out, as sometimes when doing backups and other things
that require a lot of disk I/O a better performance could be wished
for...

Regards,
Peter