[CentOS] yum yum or not?

Fri Apr 27 13:46:12 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 04/27/2012 08:26 AM, Shaun wrote:
> On 27/04/2012 14:05, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> What did you expect:
>>
>> Removing for dependencies:
>>    NetworkManager-gnome
>>
>> meant  before you confirmed the yum action?
>>
> Well if that was what was presented to me as an action then I obviously
> need to be more vigilant! :)  In fact I had similar issues in Fedora and
> weird things happening adding/removing packages.
>
> But then the reason why I didn't pay as much attention in the first
> place is because I *assumed that only that removed-pacakage and
> dependencies brought in by it at the install-time would be removed via a
> yum remove.
>
> Maybe there are differences in the dependency management that I need to
> go read about..?

Yum is great for adding packages.  I never use it to remove packages.

I might use it to give me a list of packages to remove and then modify
that list and then do:

rpm -e $(cat list.txt)

If I do use yum to remove a package group, then I would install "X
Window System", "Desktop" and any other things that might be impacted.

Yum always has, IMHO, removed too many things when using it to uninstall.