[CentOS] yum yum or not?

Fri Apr 27 13:56:39 UTC 2012
Markku Kolkka <markku.kolkka at saunalahti.fi>

27.4.2012 16:26, Shaun kirjoitti:

> But then the reason why I didn't pay as much attention in the first
> place is because I *assumed that only that removed-pacakage and
> dependencies brought in by it at the install-time would be removed via a
> yum remove.

So the real problem is that you don't understand the directionality of
dependencies. "yum install packagename" installs packagename + anything
that packagename requires. "yum remove packagename" removes packagename
+ anything that requires packagename. The set of packages required by
packagename and the set of packages that require packagename are two
entirely different things.

For example, let's have three packages A, B, and C where B requires A
and C requires B:
A<-B<-C
"yum install C" will install all three packages. "yum remove C" would
remove only C. "yum remove B" would remove B and C. "yum remove A" would
remove all three packages

--
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka at iki.fi