[CentOS] Ethernet puzzle

Dale Dellutri daledellutri at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 19:30:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com> wrote:
> But it is.  The MAC address on the motherboard port is NOT the same as the
> mystery device.  And it DOES match one of the entries in udev's rules, and
> it's operational right now as eth0 (as it should be.)  However, the mystery
> MAC address that's listed in udev's rules matches nothing in either lshw or
> lspci.
>
> Remember, udev's rules lists FOUR devices.  There are only THREE.

What does the BIOS say about ethernet devices?

Does the motherboard have a management interface card with its own
ethernet port, perhaps potential but not actually installed?

Is there a fiber-optics connector on the system which is coming up as
an ethernet port?

Is one of the cards old enough to still have a separate BNC connector?

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:21:22 -0700
>> Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>>
>> > Yeah, rpmforge or repoforge.  But, I'm looking for what exactly?  It only
>> > lists a single ethernet port (the built-in one).
>>
>> That's what you're looking for.  Now you know that the mysterious device
>> isn't
>> something that you didn't know aobout on the motherboard.
>>
>> --
>> MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Real D 3D Digital Cinema ~ www.melvilletheatre.com
>> www.creekfm.com - FIFTY THOUSAND WATTS of POW WOW POWER!

Dale Dellutri