[CentOS] Samba server choices

Wed Dec 5 23:04:30 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 02:29 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>> Look at ClearOS.  I haven't used it beyond installing in a test VM,
>>> but it looks like it would be a suitable SME replacement with a more
>>> up to date code base.
>>
>> What distro is it based on? A quick browse through the website did not yield
>> this info. I am going to have to get on their forums to see if they can
>> provide my Win server needs, which are not so much...
> The previous version was based on CentOS 5 code.  I believe that for
> the current version they did their own RHEL rebuild due to the delays
> in the Centos release - and ended up taking even longer.

I will then check to see if it offers the functions I need.

>> As for mail, I will have to look at it. I looked at Zarafa a couple years
>> ago, and can't remember why I rejected it.
> I haven't looked that recently - the older versions used postfix with
> cyrus or dovecot - and you could do a certain amount of fiddling with
> the underlying configs yourself.

I have a postfix/mysql/... server built by following something like this:

http://library.linode.com/email/postfix/courier-mysql-fedora-12

I like postfix and mysql.  I have been working on this today, and it
looks like most of the pieces are now there.  the postfix built in
Centos 6 is showing mysql support, so I am hoping I do not have to build
it from srpm, as in the past.  I have a few more steps to complete for
testing this out.