[CentOS] SOS: Production VM not starting!

Wed Dec 12 10:51:29 UTC 2012
Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr>

On 11/12/2012 4:33 πμ, Markus Falb wrote:

> I had a look at your sreenshot. Output stops at the moment init is
> taking over. I suspect that console output is going elsewhere, maybe to
> a serial console. That way it could well be that the machine is doing
> something but you just can not see it.
>
> My first bet would have been a fsck

Thanks,

I think you are probably right. This VM features a large (virtual) data
hard disk, and I found that it was mounted (in /etc/fstab) with
autocheck options. Therefore, to avoid this problem in the future, I
changed to "0 0" options.

I had already suspected this (an auto fsck) might be the case, but in
such cases in the past (with other VMs), the process was visible in the
virtual console, while in this case apparently it was not.

However, I did not find in /var/log/messages any instance of fsck checks
during loading.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Nick