[CentOS] Problems with Microsoft Forefront proxy with yum

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:06:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net> wrote:

> > Yes Giles, but my problem is with a Forefront proxy when I need to
> > use
> > an AD to authenticate users ... With s squid proxy, it is easy to
> > configure proxy options under yum.conf ...
>

> I see, so it might be a little more complicated:
>

> http://androidyou.blogspot.com/2010/11/yum-updates-through-microsoft-isa-proxy.html

Can you get an ssh connection through to somewhere a normal squid proxy can
work?  If so you can port-forward to reach it like:

In one terminal window:
ssh -L3128:squid_host:3128 relay_host   (perhaps the same host running
squid...)
and in another:
http_proxy=http://localhost:3128 ftp_proxy=http://localhost:3128 yum update

If you are really desperate, you might try installing VMware Player on
windows configured for NAT networking with a Centos guest.  I believe that
will piggyback your outbound connections through your windows host and its
isa firewall client.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com