[CentOS] schily tools

Mon Feb 6 19:24:28 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you reading
>> something that favors Solaris/*bsd over GNU based systems?
>
> No, why, are the Schily tools standard over there?

Not necessarily - just that GNUtar is not ubiquitous and there might
be more concern about strict UStar format compliance.

>> I've never had any doubts that current GNU tar would extract archives
>> made with it 10+ years ago - in fact I'm fairly sure I've done that.
>> Or that I'd be able to obtain a copy of it in the future.
>

> Yeah, that is the plus side.  But it seems gtar is rather abysmal at
> recovering from errors in archives so if there is ever a problem, you're
> cooked.
>
> Is there any truth to that?

I don't think so - I'm fairly sure I've seen GNUtar complain about bad
headers, say 'skipping to next header'  and then find something. It
won't do that if you used the -z option because you generally can't
recover from errors in compression.  But, I've never seen a tape drive
recover from an error and continue past it anyway so in practice
that's not going to matter.  If you are concerned about errors, keep
more copies.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com