[CentOS] schily tools

Mon Feb 6 21:04:18 UTC 2012
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

> I don't think so - I'm fairly sure I've seen GNUtar complain about bad
> headers, say 'skipping to next header'  and then find something. It
> won't do that if you used the -z option because you generally can't
> recover from errors in compression

Bam!  As an aside to my current line of questioning, I was looking for an
excuse not to compress and you just gave it to me!  Yay!

Compressing makes it nigh impossible to know whether or not the data will
fit on the tape without doing a test compress ahead of time, which can take
several hours depending on the amount of data.