[CentOS] [RESOLVED] -- Re: anyone else having flash trouble?

Thu Feb 16 21:09:08 UTC 2012
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM, fred smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:15:18AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> I used to use the NVIDIA drivers directly from the nvidia.com, but since
>> I upgraded my workstation to CentOS-6.x I have been using elrepo's rpms
>> for nvidia with no issues.
>>
>> I certainly know how to build things (being that I build most of the c4
>> and c5 updates that we release), but I love the convenience that elrepo
>> provides.  I highly recommend the elrepo site for anything that they
>> currently maintain, they do a great job.
>
> without having yet switched to a repo instead of using the package
> from nvidia's web site, I just reinstalled the previous version of
> the nvidia drivers and now flash works. go figure.
>
> the one that was NOT working for me was 290.10, and the next newest one I had
> (the one I am now using again) is 285.05.09.

Now that you know which version of the Nvidia driver to use, it is
time to switch to ELRepo. :-)  Otherwise you have to keep
re-installing it for each kernel update. You can see here (for
example):

http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/

that ELRepo maintains earlier versions of the driver. Install the one
you want, and exclude it in yum.conf so that the "good" one stays on
your system.

Akemi