[CentOS] [RESOLVED] -- Re: anyone else having flash trouble?

Thu Feb 16 21:20:03 UTC 2012
Jake Shipton <jakems at fedoraproject.org>

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:09:08 -0800
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM, fred smith
> <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:15:18AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> >> I used to use the NVIDIA drivers directly from the nvidia.com, but
> >> since I upgraded my workstation to CentOS-6.x I have been using
> >> elrepo's rpms for nvidia with no issues.
> >>
> >> I certainly know how to build things (being that I build most of
> >> the c4 and c5 updates that we release), but I love the convenience
> >> that elrepo provides.  I highly recommend the elrepo site for
> >> anything that they currently maintain, they do a great job.
> >
> > without having yet switched to a repo instead of using the package
> > from nvidia's web site, I just reinstalled the previous version of
> > the nvidia drivers and now flash works. go figure.
> >
> > the one that was NOT working for me was 290.10, and the next newest
> > one I had (the one I am now using again) is 285.05.09.
>
> Now that you know which version of the Nvidia driver to use, it is
> time to switch to ELRepo. :-)  Otherwise you have to keep
> re-installing it for each kernel update. You can see here (for
> example):
>
> http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/
>
> that ELRepo maintains earlier versions of the driver. Install the one
> you want, and exclude it in yum.conf so that the "good" one stays on
> your system.
>
> Akemi

Glad to hear Fred fixed his issue :-).

Just for the record, I too manually install Nvidia drivers without a
repo on all my machines (Both CentOS & Fedora). This issue can be
triggered by xorg updates etc. It can be a bit of a pain having to
reinstall the drivers manually, but for me I always run into some weird
problem or other with the repository versions. So I just keep a good
version of the driver at "/nv.run" and run it after each xorg or kernel
update :-). But that is my personal preference.

But if you do not get problems with the RPM versions I would recommend
you get them :-).

- --
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F
GPG Fingerprint: 7515 CC63 19BD 06F9 400A DE8A 1D0B A5CF E3C3 1D8F