[CentOS] Cannot use kickstart file to install CentOS 6.2 into a blank harddisk

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Wed Jan 4 15:56:31 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
| I am trying using a kickstart file to install CentOS 6.2 into a new
| virtual machine (the MBR sector
| of the harddisk is all zero), however I found that the installer
| cannot go through the harddisk
| partition. It failed after I chose "Use All Space" at harddisk
| partition option.
| The error message is:
| http://anony.ws/i/bMcTJ.png
|
| "You have not defined a root partition (/), which is required for
| installation of CentOS to continue.
| You have not created a/boot/efi partition (note: I am using BIOS, not
| (U)EFI)
| This can happen if there is not enough space on your harddrive(s) for
| installation."
|
| However, if I create a blank MBR partition table before before CentOS
| installation, then there is no
| problem. The same kickstart file works for CentOS 6.1 with blank
| harddisk. (with url parameter
| changed of course)
|
| Below is the kickstart file I used (between dash lines)
|
| -------
| url --url="http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/CentOS/6.2/os/i386/"
| interactive
| timezone Asia/Hong_Kong
| firstboot --enable
| -------
|
| Steps to reproduce:
| 1. create a new virtual machine with blank harddisk image (or, a real
| blank harddisk)
| 2. boot the netinstall iso
| 3. at boot menu, press tab and append ks=<kickstart_file_location> and
| press enter to boot
| 4. go through the boot option as usual until harddisk partition
| options
| 5. Choose "Use All Space" at harddisk partition options
| 6. error occurs

clearpart --all --initlabel

part /boot --fstype=ext4 --size=1024
part pv.0 --grow --size=1
volgroup ROOTDISK --pesize=4096 pv.0
logvol swap --name=swap --vgname=ROOTDISK --recommended
logvol / --fstype=ext4 --name=root --vgname=ROOTDISK --size=1 --grow

They that.  Should work for you.  Feel free to adjust as necessary

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
I will do the best I can with the talent I have