[CentOS] local repositories

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jan 4 16:39:36 UTC 2012

On 01/04/2012 09:52 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> I need a clarification to the documentation.
>>
>> My manager added a 6.2 repo; however, when I try doing pxeboot installs,
>> it fails, asserting that it can't find the group info. Another admin I
>> work with thinks it's not really what it's failing in, and notes that it
>> 404's on images/updates.img and images/product.img. We *think* that's
>> irrelevant and ok.
>>
>> What is not clear to me is when we run createrepo, what directory you need
>> to be in at the time you execute it.
> I would expect the createrepo to be done from the DVD root path, but I could
> be wrong on that point.
>
> Did you include the -g option to point to the comps.xml to include the package
> group info?
>
> Why are you doing a createrepo there at all?  If you're adding your own
> packages to the base, why not have it as a separate repo?
You do not HAVE to run createrepo unless you want to do so, and in fact
I recommend that you don't.

We do serveral things with createrepo, including providing deltarpms
(the yum-presto plugin) for updates where a usually much smaller DELTA
is downloaded for updates rather than the entire package.

The options that we use for createrepo are:

createrepo -g <path_to_comps.xml> -d --unique-md-filenames --deltas
--num-deltas=5 --update --oldpackagedirs=<path_to_old_packages> .

Note:  The -g allows for groups and is optional.
Note:  There are usually more than one --oldpackagedirs=<path>,
depending on where the old packages reside.