[CentOS] sa-update error with perl

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jan 6 15:58:02 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 09:36 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> conf
>>> installed

>>> Ah, it's a separate package.  OK thanks for the info!
>>>
>>> But before I try that, I'm wondering, shouldn't it be easy
>>> from the error message to simply understand what package
>>> is creating the problem?
>>>
>>> It turns out it's not sa-update specifically doing this, but the
>>> restart of spamassassin itself:
>>>
>>> /etc/init.d/spamassassin condrestart
>>>
>>> Stopping spamd: [  OK  ]
>>> Starting spamd: Subroutine Net::DNS::Resolver::Base::AF_INET6 redefined at
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Exporter.pm line 65.
>>>  at
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Net/DNS/Resolver/Base.pm
>>> line 66
>>> [  OK  ]
>>>
>>> I've ensured that my spamassassin, perl-Net-DNS and
>>> per-IO-Socket-INET6 packages are all from the CentOS
>>> repo, so is it just a crap shoot to find what is causing
>>> this?  I'd expect the error message to be more helpful
>>> than that...
>>>
>>> Recap on my versions:
>>>
>>> perl-IO-Socket-INET6-2.51-2.fc6
>>> perl-Net-DNS-0.59-3.el5
>>> spamassassin-3.3.1-2.el5
>> In fact, it was suggested on the spamassassin list that version
>> 0.59-3.el5 is vastly out of date and known to be buggy and,
>> contrary to the suggestion here of ensuring I prioritize CentOS
>> repos, I would be better served to get the newer version of
>> per-Net-DNS from the RepoForge (extras) repository.
>>
>> Other thoughts (on this or my main question in my last email
>> above) would be greatly appreciated.
> RHEL (and therefore CentOS) is designed to work with items that it uses
> as dependencies.
>
> You should not upgrade any packages in the distribution unless you have
> verified that all the dependencies that are needed by other items that
> are in the distribution can use the newer things you want to bring in.
>
> For example, I rebuilt and used a newer version of both samba and ldap
> on centos-4 (the version that was included in centos-5) when I wanted to
> upgrade all my domain controllers from CentOS-4 to CentOS-5.  But when I
> did that, I had to verify that I either also rebuilt any items that use
> samba and ldap to use the new libraries.
>
> If you know what you are doing and understand how to validate the
> dependency trees, check for repo closure, etc ... then upgrading items
> to newer versions is fine.  If you do not know how to do that, then you
> end up with a hot pile of mess and eventually an unusable system.
>
> Also remember that upstream does backporting to keep API/ABI compatibility:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/
>
> I don't know what is causing your specific issue ... whether you are
> getting something newer in sa-update than is designed to work with
> CentOS (sa-update bypasses the normal rpm type updates and does updates
> from elsewhere).  It should only update rules, so maybe some of the new
> rules require a new version of perl-Net-DNS.  If that is the case, then
> a Red Hat bugzilla entry needs to be made.
>
> If it will not work with the CentOS version of perl-Net-DNS and if it
> works with the rfx version, then obviously you would run that.  If that
> is the case, we need to get the rhel one upgraded.

Doing a little more research ... I am using this version of amavisd-new
from EPEL (you are using a newer version from repoforge) and I do not
seem to have that issue (I am x86_64 and you appear to be i386):

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/amavisd-new.html