[CentOS] sa-update error with perl

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jan 6 15:36:55 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 10:17 PM, email builder wrote:
>> conf
>>>  # yum list | grep priorities
>>>  yum-priorities.noarch                      1.1.16-16.el5.centos
>> installed
>>>  # cat /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/priorities.conf
>>>  [main]
>>>  enabled = 1
>>>  check_obsoletes=1
>>>
>>>  Then add "priority=n" to the repos sections.
>>>  n=1 for CentOS
>>>  n=2 for repo 2
>>>  etc...
>> Ah, it's a separate package.  OK thanks for the info!
>>
>> But before I try that, I'm wondering, shouldn't it be easy
>> from the error message to simply understand what package
>> is creating the problem?
>>
>> It turns out it's not sa-update specifically doing this, but the
>> restart of spamassassin itself:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/spamassassin condrestart
>>
>> Stopping spamd: [  OK  ]
>> Starting spamd: Subroutine Net::DNS::Resolver::Base::AF_INET6 redefined at
>> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Exporter.pm line 65.
>>  at
>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Net/DNS/Resolver/Base.pm
>> line 66
>> [  OK  ]
>>
>> I've ensured that my spamassassin, perl-Net-DNS and
>> per-IO-Socket-INET6 packages are all from the CentOS
>> repo, so is it just a crap shoot to find what is causing
>> this?  I'd expect the error message to be more helpful
>> than that...
>>
>> Recap on my versions:
>>
>> perl-IO-Socket-INET6-2.51-2.fc6
>> perl-Net-DNS-0.59-3.el5
>> spamassassin-3.3.1-2.el5
> In fact, it was suggested on the spamassassin list that version
> 0.59-3.el5 is vastly out of date and known to be buggy and,
> contrary to the suggestion here of ensuring I prioritize CentOS
> repos, I would be better served to get the newer version of
> per-Net-DNS from the RepoForge (extras) repository.
>
> Other thoughts (on this or my main question in my last email
> above) would be greatly appreciated.

RHEL (and therefore CentOS) is designed to work with items that it uses
as dependencies.

You should not upgrade any packages in the distribution unless you have
verified that all the dependencies that are needed by other items that
are in the distribution can use the newer things you want to bring in.

For example, I rebuilt and used a newer version of both samba and ldap
on centos-4 (the version that was included in centos-5) when I wanted to
upgrade all my domain controllers from CentOS-4 to CentOS-5.  But when I
did that, I had to verify that I either also rebuilt any items that use
samba and ldap to use the new libraries.

If you know what you are doing and understand how to validate the
dependency trees, check for repo closure, etc ... then upgrading items
to newer versions is fine.  If you do not know how to do that, then you
end up with a hot pile of mess and eventually an unusable system.

Also remember that upstream does backporting to keep API/ABI compatibility:

https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/

I don't know what is causing your specific issue ... whether you are
getting something newer in sa-update than is designed to work with
CentOS (sa-update bypasses the normal rpm type updates and does updates
from elsewhere).  It should only update rules, so maybe some of the new
rules require a new version of perl-Net-DNS.  If that is the case, then
a Red Hat bugzilla entry needs to be made.

If it will not work with the CentOS version of perl-Net-DNS and if it
works with the rfx version, then obviously you would run that.  If that
is the case, we need to get the rhel one upgraded.