[CentOS] LUKS full disk Encryption question

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Sun Jan 8 03:02:00 UTC 2012

Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs> wrote:

> Hm, I forgot to mention that it would be for laptop. MSI VR601x, Celeron
> 1.73 GHz (Single Core), 80 GB SATA, 2GB RAM, CentOS 6.2 x86_64,
> encryption would be activated by Anaconda on ext4 partitions belonging
> to LVM Volume Group.

I had guessed that you were talking about a laptop; the server comment
was only for completeness.

Although I have since replaced it with a Thinkpad T500, I used to run a
Thinkpad T42 (which is a 32 bit system at around the same clock speed,
with the same amount of memory) using full disk encryption under CentOS 5.6.
As a general workstation it was just fine.  Using it as a development
system running eclipse, tomcat, db2, plus the usual desktop programs
was, toward the end, causing it to start to chug, but I don't think that
that was primarily due to encryption; I think available memory and processor
speed for non-encryption tasks were the limiting factors.  It also used
a PATA disk, not SATA.

Devin
--
	There's too much blood in my caffeine system.