[CentOS] USB install annoyances

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jan 9 20:05:32 UTC 2012

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 01/09/12 11:11 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> They are? I dunno - ours are labelled where they're intended to be
>> mounted, like / or /boot
>
> don't plug one of those into a different system for repair or you'll
> have all kinda grief.   $HOSTNAME_root would be the sane way to do it...

I'm trying to figure out why I'd plug one into a different system for
repair. Either the drive's bad, or I'm re-embodying a server that died,
but left good drives. If it's going bad, the *only* thing I'm going to do
is plug it into a hot-swap bay (just about all of ours have those, love
them) to recover some data, then wipe it.

>>> hostnames tend to be messy and nearly as unreadable as a uuid, so
>>> embedding them in a label wouldn't actually be much help.
>> Oh, you're in one of *those* places.... "This machine was bought under
>> this account, and is part of this project, and there's 1-4 char
>> abbreviations for each, and .....
>
> well, $job is at a large multinational...  company standardized
> hostnames start with a 3 letter site prefix, then -S for server, then a
> 6 digit department ID, then -nnn as a server ID within that group.
> fug-ly.     projects are too transient and servers tend to bounce around
> between physical and virtual over their life cycle.

Exactly what I was implying. Been there, but mostly in smaller groups, so
we could name our own.

       mark