[CentOS] missing email

Bennett Haselton bennett at peacefire.org
Tue Jan 10 08:49:54 UTC 2012

On 1/9/2012 10:31 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I *loathe* dnsorbs.... Maybe this one will get through its crap. Maybe if
> I add a few more words....
>
> John R. Dennison wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 12:49:31PM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> I haven't gotten anything from the list since my email of 09:34 EST. Do
> I have a problem, or is the list quiet?
>>> Please cc me offlist, if this goes through.
>> I hope you get 20,000 replies :)
> Nope, jes' one, so far.
> <snip>
>> You _could_ just have checked the archive.
> Actually, I went to the archives, and at least saw something from *sigh*
> Bennett that was dated 12:34 or so today; that was why I asked. Dunno if
> someone (NOT my hosting co - I don't have any filtering turned on) is
> delaying, or filtering, or if I'd been dropped for some reason, or....

that I got when trying to send email to this list yesterday.  The bounce
indicated that at the time, all mail from Gmail (or at least one
particular Gmail SMTP server) was being blocked.  I followed the link in
the bounce message and got the IP of that SMTP server removed from the
blacklist.

Maybe the blacklist server had temporarly gotten into a state where it
was reporting all IP addresses as spam sources (not just gmail).  Or
more generally, if a spam filter is so aggressive that it starts
blocking all mail from Gmail, it's probably aggressive enough that it
erratically blocks mail from lots of other sources as well.  (If that
had been the case though, you presumably would have gotten a bounce
message like I did.)

Here is the bounce message:

      centos-docs at centos.org

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the
recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for
further information about the cause of this error. The error that the
other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client
host [209.85.210.179] blocked using ix.dnsbl.manitu.net; Your e-mail
service was detected by mx.selfip.biz (NiX Spam) as spamming at Sun, 08
Jan 2012 22:02:35 +0100. Your admin should visit
http://www.dnsbl.manitu.net/lookup.php?value=209.85.210.179 (state 14).